Background

Friday, August 31, 2018

Thomas & Frederick


Sooner or later, the boys are going to outgrow "Thomas & Friends." Someday, they won't watch "Hero of the Railways" every, single day after school. Different configurations of wooden tracks and plastic parts won't always blanket the floor of our den. "Someday" will be here before I know it. Until then, I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride through this particular part of their boyhood. When Thomas eventually chuffs out of our lives, it'll be way harder on me than on the boys. Already, they're starting to want to watch things like "Kung Fu Panda," things that are (sometimes) crass, things that are nowhere near as timelessly sweet as the goings on on Sodor. I'll miss the days of trains and tractors, of fascinations with tools and trucks.  I'll miss the way their little hands grip the engines as they direct them from tunnels to Tidmouth Sheds. I'll remember how Jones narrates his play, giving each character its own unique voice. But at the same time, I can't wait to see the "unique voices" my boys develop the bigger they get. I just hope they're more sweet and "Sodor"-like than "sometimes crass."


No comments:

Post a Comment