As if Jones's first day of Kindergarten wasn't excitement enough, tonite we took the boys to the Haywood County Fair. It was even more fun this year than last! Freddie suggested that Jones should pick the first ride, since it was his first day of Kindergarten (I've mentioned before that my younger son's heart is ten sizes too big, haven't I?). Not surprisingly, Jones picked the train, which goes approximately six inches per minute. Jones loves it, anyway.As we watched the boys ride, Jeremy reminded me of a time when Jones loved it so much that he screamed like Yosemite Sam with his hair on fire when it was time to disembark the ride. I can't say I was sad to see THAT habit get broken.
After that, they rode all the usual suspects (minus the Merry Go Round, which, let's be honest, is subpar, because it doesn't have a porcelain horse with a rifle painted on its side, a la Dollywood's "Pow Pow Bullseye"). There were the motorcycles (Freddie's choice), the tractors (Jones's choice), and, new this year, the RACE CARS, which Jones decided to ride as soon as he saw that they went slowly and not fast. Jones does NOT like fast rides, which is probably why the aforementioned train is such a perennial favorite.
As we cruised the midway, Freddie spied a game with a Spider-Man prize. He, breathless from the excitement of his discovery, asked his daddy if he'd win won for him. Jeremy is still high from his success at that balloon dart game he played last year, so he was only too happy to oblige his baby boy. When we asked the game attendant how to win a Spider-Man, however, she said all the kids had to do was catch a single fish, and they could fish until they caught one.Suddenly, those early mornings spent fishing Lake Chatuge this summer seemed like great preparation for this moment. In a flash, Freddie had caught his fish. Jones had, too! They were exhilarated to take home a(nother) Spidey and a giant blue fish ("whale") that Jones named "Jim."
I imagine we've got two, three years MAXIMUM before the bright lights of this mini-Midway lose their luster for our growing boys. Until then, I'll keep looking forward to these nites out at the start of every Indian Summer.






No comments:
Post a Comment