| Fred's profile; don't you think he looks like ... every OTHER ultrasound picture you've ever seen?! |
It's definitely a "Freddie," which is good, because I've already bought the domain name!
We got the confirmation of Fred's gender today at his 20 week (technically, 19 week, 2 day) ultrasound. Dr. Warren, the same high-risk OB we saw after Jones's 20 week ultrasound, told us "Your baby is just beautiful." That was exactly what she said about Jones. It's absolutely music to the ears of a mother of "advanced maternal age," who is all too aware of all that can go wrong in utero.
To be honest, I think both Jeremy and I were more nervous this year than we were last. This simple reason for that? Well, we both know that lightning doesn't often strike twice. What are the odds, we wondered, that we'd go two-for-two on the "perfectly healthy baby" thing? That to say, we do NOT take for granted that our baby is developing just as he should.
As I reveled in the "great-baby" gushing of both Dr. Warren and Marcia, the amazing ultrasound tech we saw today and when I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia last October, all I could do was think of Psalm 13:6:
"I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me."
Gratitude. Worship. Wonder.
I was doing all three, as I lounged on the padded table, staring at the inside of my uterus on the wall across from me. I was grateful for the gift of another son, for the confirmation of his good health, and for the wonderful man I'm privileged to call his father. I worshiped the Creator of this little fella. Weighing a little less than a can of Coke (thank you, Jeremy, for putting "11 ounces" in terms I can understand!), Freddie already has two sweet feet, five fingers a hand, and absolutely no modesty whatsoever about his burgeoning manhood. Truly, he is fearfully and wonderfully made by a God Whose wisdom is unsearchable, and Who already knows the numbers of hairs on his head, which, most of you already know, I hope is a LOT.
And, finally, I couldn't help but wonder to what end has God given me these "beautiful" boys? I feel a great responsibility in a "to whom much is given, much shall be required" (Luke 12:48) kind of way to steward these little lives, so that they grow to do great things for the Giver of every good and perfect gift, Who has so graciously given me the gift of two "good and perfect" baby boys.
Thank You, Father. Thank You for entrusting me with these boys - YOUR boys, created BY You and FOR You. In all we do, help Jeremy and me to point them TO You. Shepherd them, Lord, to the purpose You have planned uniquely for them. Use our family to reach this fallen world for our risen Lord. Humbled by your unbelievable goodness to me, I pray in Jesus's name, Amen.


This is one of my favorite posts yet. These are 2 lucky little boys! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading :) But WE'RE the lucky ones :)
ReplyDelete