Background

Friday, August 2, 2013

Just a Sip


I honestly never thought this day would come.

The day Jones turned six months old, I went out and bought him a ceremonial sippy cup. After all, the blogs all said that's when I should start making the switch away from bottles. I expected that Jones would take to it as easily as he did his bottle.

He didn't.

This led to three months' of repeatedly failed - if inconsistently-timed - attempts to get Jones to drink from a sippy cup. I even talked with his doctor about it at his nine-month check-up:

"You having any problems with him," Dr. O'Donnell asked.
"Well, now that you mention it, I can't get him off the bottle!" I responded, feeling slightly like the most incapable mother in the HISTORY of incapable mothers.

Dr. O, bless his heart, wasn't bothered at all. He just said he was fine with bottles up to 13 months. This made me feel better ... a little ... but I was still resolved to make the transition as soon as Jones would GET HIS ACT TOGETHER AND COOPERATE.

Luckily for my little man, I'd run in to Katy Russell the day before his doctor's appointment. Now, Mrs. Katy is legendary at Canton First Baptist Church. She's raised her two girls of her own and now keeps her eldest's triplets during the workday. In other words, she knows how to take care of babies. I was telling her my dilemma. As if passing on the secret location to Holy Grail, she nodded her head and said, simply, "Nuby."

I gratefully returned her nod and proceeded, without passing go and without collecting $200, to the nearest Target store, where I purchased not one but TWO of the magical Nuby Sippy Cups. At his first attempt, Jones ate five ounces.

It's working!, I thought. Mrs. Katy, it's WORKING!!!

And it's continued to work, ever since. In fact, tonite, we put away his bottles once and for all.  Well, "once and ..." ... until we pull them out again for itty bitty baby brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment