Background

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Meditations on a Safety Restraint


(I know it's often said that teachers often learn more from their students than they teach them. In the same way, parents learn more from their children than the other way around.  This has definitely been true in my short tenure as a mama. God has taught me so much from watching Jones and from thinking on things that he does (or doesn't). It occurred to me yesterday that preserving these stories are just as important as keeping track of things, like teething or obsessing over the old remote control his daddy gave him yesterday. It's in that spirit that I'm gonna try to start posting these alongside the milestones.)


From day one, Jones has been a really good traveler. 

It's a good thing, too, because in his first ten months, he's already made multiple visits to Kentucky, flights to and from Nebraska, a couple drives to Lake Chatuge, several trips to Tennessee, and a two-day haul almost to the tip of Florida. These and other trips are all in addition to our weekly jaunts from Canton to Greenville and back again.  If he looks just like Daddy, at least he got a love of the road that is all Mama. 

There have been a handful of times that he's fought being put in his carseat - or fussed after being in it too long. For the most part, though, he seems completely cool just being along for the ride. I set him in his seat, and for all he knows, we're going to dentist or the doctor or the moon, for Pete's sake. Still, he sits there all peaceful and cooperative, as I battle the straps that keep him securely in place. 

This struck me from early on. I'd wonder, Does he ever wonder where we're about to go? Does he ever want to toss in his two cents as to which direction we should head?  Does he ever think, "Sorry, Mama. I'm just gonna stay here." Heaven knows, I do. Jeremy and I get strapped into our seats, and I've got a thousand thoughts about which route we should take, which lane we should be in, what speed we should go.

But one day it occurred to me that Jones's passive approach to traveling is the more Biblical way to be. As God "drives" us down the road He's paved for our lives, He knows where we're going. All I need to do is be peaceful and cooperative, trusting Him, as Jones trusts me, that He'll get me where I need to be. 

Instead I, once again, "battle the straps" that are meant to keep me in His plan.  I want the roadmap; I want to share my input. I've come to realize, though, that Jones's sort of trusting obedience is another aspect of what Jesus is talking about when He says that we must "become like children" to enter the kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 18:3).

I know Jeremy, for one, is VERY hopeful I'm able to master this concept!


No comments:

Post a Comment