Background

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Change of Heart?

Jones had another one of his galactic fits tonite.

I knew it was coming.

The boys and I had gone to play at the Meadowbrook playground, and when I said it was time to go, Jones just absolutely LOST it. He went completely BERSERK. No amount of patiently reminding him, "You're losing it. You're losing it. Hold it back. Hold it back" did any good.

He just let 'er rip. And, in response, I wanted to RIP HIM UP.

He continued shouting and fighting and screaming the entire two-mile drive home. Even after we got here, Jeremy, who took over at the house, had trouble getting him ready for bed.

Jones was just DONE.

I was FURIOUS.

My friend Leslie and I had made impromptu plans to take the boys to Dollywood tomorrow, but there was NO WAY IN THE WORLD I was going to take a little boy who tied on a fit like he'd just tied on.

After Jeremy got Jones in the bed, he and I stood in the kitchen discussing what I should do about tomorrow. When we were done talking, I went to tell Jones good nite. He was laying there in the almost darkness, right smack in the center of 700 small stuffed animals, his white down "snow cubbers" pulled very nearly all the way up to his chinny chin chin.

I walked in the room and heard the softest little voice:
This picture is horrific of me and my fat face,
but seriously. HOW CUTE IS HE???
And how directly is he looking at that camera?

"I'm sorry I pitched a fit at the park, Mama."

Flooded with relief and pride, I said, "I forgive you, Buddy."

I then apologized to HIM for losing MY temper, and we prayed together, thanking God that Jesus's righteousness covered our shared sin and asking God to help us to be wise and "hold back" what seems to be a besetting sin for both of us.

It's worth posting, I think, because it's the second time in the last week that Jones has pointed out his own sin. The other day, he pitched a fit over something I can't even remember anymore. I put him in his room until he calmed down. It took about 20 minutes for the screaming to stop, and when it did, I  went back in his room.

"Buddy, what'd you do?" I asked.

Where only weeks ago, he'd have looked at me, like, "What do you mean?" he looked me squarely in the eyes and said, "I pitched a fit."

I am so grateful that the Holy Spirit seems to be whispering in this tiny child's ear. I pray that Jones continues to humbly listen to those pricks on his heart that he might be forever changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment