Background

Friday, October 21, 2016

"Ha-ppy, Hap-py Birthday, Ba-a-by"


It's official!

We have a four year old, and he has OFFICIALLY been celebrated.

The fun began on Sunday morning (his actual birthday). He and Freddie had spent the nite (and the entire day before) with the Pressleys', while Jeremy and I celebrated our fifth anniversary at the UT / Alabama game.

Before going to get them, I'd put the racecar tent he'd requested (seriously. His heart has been set on it, since early this summer) on his bed. While eating french toast and bacon at Nan and Pop's, he opened his gifts - a Paw Patrol watch from Freddie and the racecar ten from Jeremy and me. But the box was EMPTY! He played along really well with my prank, and we headed off to the house to see if it was there.

Sure enough, it was, and the reaction it got was exactly the reaction you'd expect from a kid who's been asking for something for four months. He.was.elated. He was also more than willing to share the space with his baby brother, and I was very, very proud.

I was also very, very glad I hadn't repeated the mistake I made last year when I overbought in the gift department. As he opened and opened and opened last year, I quickly realized that less IS more and determined to right my wrong this year. It made a HUGE difference just getting him the one gift. He surely didn't feel shorted, and he got to focus all of his attentions on a single treat.

Lesson learned.

Then we went to church. For who-knows-what reason, Jones pitched a crazy fit when we tried to drop him off at his room. He LOVES Mr. John - plus, TRAIN TABLE - but still, he was not having ANY of either on this particular day. I asked if he wanted to go to Freddie's class with him. Instantly, the tears stopped, and we walked him over to Mrs. Betty's room, where he was welcomed with lots of love and widely opened arms (just as he always is in Mr. John's room, too. In fact, he calls our church "Mr. John's church." Always has. Probably always will).

After church, I asked Jones if there was anything special he'd like to eat for his birthday lunch. I figured he could care less, but surprisingly, he said, "French fries." He then added, "And chicken and tea." We explained that Chick-fil-A was closed. He then requested "Old Mac-Donald's." He's eaten there a lot in his four years, but still, I had NO idea he actually knew the name of the place.

So off we went.

We went to the one on Brevard Road, which meant there was a GIANT playground to motivate both boys to eat more quickly than they usually do. Already demonstrating his old age, Jones climbed the super tall structure without so much as a whimper. He doesn't usually WHIMPER in them. He just tends to stay closer to the ground floor.

On this day, though, it was as if he KNEW he was a whole year bigger, because he did it all, and then he and Freddie chased another little boy - Alex WITH THE BATMAN SHOES!!! - around the playground like monsters. It was just about the most fun thing EVER.

After the boys' naps, Sissy and the kids came to celebrate Jones's birthday - as well as the birthdays of Camden (17 on the 19th) and Payton (15 on the 23rd). We all met Mom and Daddy for lunch at the Waynesville Pizza Company and then headed back to our house for cake and presents.

Jones was so excited to get his first official Lego set - and Bobo has been waiting since Jones was born to give it to him! He also got his yearly birthday spankings from Pop and a race track from Mayme that I was afraid Uncle David may steal from him!

The celebrations continued the next day. The Winston, Josephine, and Holly Godfrey came over and so did Ramsey and Joy Allen. Sunday was Ramsey's birthday, too, so we celebrated with a little play and some cake.

Later, Jones got a card in the mail from his buddy "Ah-jay" Morgan. When I told him whom it was from, he said, "Ahjay? Awwwww. He's such a good, nice boy."

For the final celebration of Jones turning four, we ate a DELICIOUS dinner at the Pressleys'. As she always does, Nana made the Birthday Boy's favorites, including creamed corn and "broccoli 'castle.'"

We then went home with one son feeling VERY loved and the OTHER son counting down the days until its HIS turn in the spotlight.

































No comments:

Post a Comment