Background

Friday, January 1, 2016

Hymn of the Month


(This post was backdated to January 1, as all Hymn of the Month posts are, but it was actually written on January 9.)

The first Bible verse I remember learning was Romans 3:23. It was in Mrs. English's K-4 class at Oakwood Christian School in Anderson, South Carolina, and we used the a Beka Book verse cards to learn one verse each week. The "A" verse was "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23."

I've never forgotten that verse - or those 26 cards. In fact, I gave Jones a framed set at his baby dedication, and it still hangs in his room.

My plan has long been to use the cards to teach the verses to the boys. I'd already made up little tunes for a few of them to make the memorizing easier (a tip I got from Pam Tebow when she spoke at Teach Them Diligently in 2013). Well, when Jones started singing along with every song I sang, I thought, "He's ready!"

So this month, Romans 3:23 has become the first verse Jones learned, too. He picked it up VERY quickly and always adds a little flourish of his own - clapping his hands on the downbeat after we sing the final "Romans 3:23."

So for at least the next 26 months, our "Hymns" of the Month are actually going to be VERSES of the Month, set to whatever embarrassingly simple ditty I can construct.

I'm super excited about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment