Not long after we'd gotten up, we were watching the boys play when Jeremy said, apropos of nothing, "I can't wait until the boys are big enough to have a toy gun."
"Ugh," I said. "I kinda dread that day. I'm definitely not going to be the mom who says, 'No toy guns,' because I know that's totally what boys do, but I just want to be sure we can teach them responsibility when it comes to playing with guns and make it clear that they only play with TOY guns and never touch the real thing, so I'm putting that off as long as we possibly can. I mean, if we gave them one right now, they wouldn't even know what it WAS, so we'll just wait until they ASK for one."
Not ten minutes later, my phone rang.
"Hey, Daddy," I answered.
"Do the boys have a toy gun," my dad asked."Funny you should ask that. No, they don't."
"Well, we're at Masts, and I'm gonna get them some."
"Okay. They'll love that. Jeremy was just saying how he can't wait until they have one" (I'm also not gonna be the kind of mom who tells her dad he can't buy his grandsons the same sort of cowboy pistols HE played with as a kid).
What are the odds?
We made plans to go to Greenville today - both to celebrate the fourth anniversary of mine and Jeremy's first date (it's the fifth straight February 1st we've eaten at the Copper River on Haywood Road. Today, Jeremy even wore the same outfit he wore on our first date. I didn't notice what he'd done, until we were sitting in church, but, when it hit me, I sure did appreciate his thoughtfulness! Also, as fate would have it, we were randomly seated at the same window booth we sat in back in 2011) ... AND, of course, to pick up the toy guns.
To my knowledge, Jones has never even seen a gun. I mean, he's watched a lot of Droopy" and "Quick Draw McGraw" and "Andy Griffith" and "Bonanza," so there's definitely been a pistol or two on each of these, but I couldn't imagine he'd have ANY idea what to do with a gun, if given one.
Shows what I know.
Not only did Jones immediately know what to do, he also knew what sound to make: "Pow! Pow! Pow!"
What the what??!!?!
He and his Pop proceeded to have Wild West-style gun battles all over the house.
"Pow! Pow! Pow!"
And then Jones held his shiny "silver" six shooter in his lap on the entire drive back to Canton.
Now to teach him to use his gunslinging for good and not evil...
| "Coooo-ooooo-ooool," Jones said as he was handed his gift. |
![]() |
![]() |













It's amazing what they pick up isn't it? They're so smart. Love these photos, esp. the top one and the one where he's shooting into the air. Makes me want to say, BAM, BAM, BAMBABAM!"
ReplyDeleteThanks, Hayley! Judging by what I've read and seen of her on your blog, I think that, when it comes to expressiveness, my Jones and your Charley are cut from the same cloth :) That to say, we've got us some cute babies, Girl :) Thanks again for reading!
Delete