Background

Monday, February 23, 2015

Build-a-Buddy

I used to think my family was the most generous in the world. Then I met Jeremy's family. Now, I think that, between my family and Jeremy's family, we are surrounded by the most generous people in the whole wide world.

Though generosity is by no means measured only by the gifts they give my boys, it sure was manifest in the boys' Valentines presents - they got candy and cards and toys.  Their Great Aunt Nancy and Great Uncle Ronnie even gave them some gift certificates to Build-a-Bear.

So that's where we headed today.

I'll say this for the Asheville Mall - 10:30 on a Monday morning must be the time to shop. There was next to NO ONE there. We were the only family in Build-a-Bear at the time that we went.

Jones picked a bulldog, and Freddie picked a puppy dog ... well, they "picked" them in as much as they hugged them more tightly than they hugged any other animal we handed them.

If you've been around the Build-a-Bear block, you know that the next step is hugging and kissing all over your bear ... or, in our case, dog ... and putting in his little red gingham heart.  Jones did great at this. He's a lover, that one - not a fighter ... unless Freddie is trying to steal his Reese's Cereal.

When the stuffing of the animals started,  Jones cautiously backed away but didn't pitch the fit of fear I'd kind of expected he would.  He just stood there watching and letting MY foot work the pedal instead of his. I can live with that.

Once his dog - and Brother's puppy - were stuffed, Jones took immeasurable pleasure in brushing both of them, which is no surprise, because both he and Freddie can kill HOURS working their daddy's comb through their hair.

We then entered the "upgrade" phase of our visit where the Bear Builders try to convince us that the newest members of our family need little plastic shoes or even a soccer uniform. They had two types of Tarheel t-shirts. Jeremy and I agreed that one of each kind on the two dogs would be good (well, I agreed to this after confirming I could order coordinating UK shirts online), but after I put it on the bulldog, Jones tried to take it off. So we took that as a sign that he was not interested in the upgrades and gratefully got out of there without buying a single article of stuffed animal clothing.

Just when I thought I couldn't love Jones any more than I already do.

The final component of our visit was the creating of the birth certificate. Banging on the indestructible computer keyboard was, far and away, Jones's favorite part ... until he had the chance to carry his bulldog in a box from Build-a-Bear all the way to the far away Chick-fil-A where we ate lunch. I kept expecting him to drop the box or at least hand it to me.

He never did. He carried it the entire way - and proceeded to play at putting the dog in and out of the box, while we waited for Jeremy and Freddie to show up with our lunch order.

After eating, the boys played on the little playground inside the Food Court. I told Jones before he started playing, "Be kind to the other children, and when Mama says it's time to go, you say, 'Yes, Ma'am.'" That's exactly what he did, even when the other (neanderthal) children repeatedly cut the slide line without being reprimanded by their (neanderthal) parents (gnashing of teeth). I was so, so proud of his outstanding behavior during our entire morning out. Both he and Freddie were absolutely awesome.

When we got home, it was nap time. Jones, who never, ever, EVER wants anything to sleep with him (this probably goes back to when he was an infant, and I wouldn't allow anything - not even a blanket - in his crib with him (he always slept in this blanket sleeper things)), but today, he took his snooze with little James Woody.

By the way, Woody got his name from Tarheel great James Worthy and Woody Durham, long-time UNC broadcaster. Freddie's puppy "Cawood" is "Hayes Cawood," named for Wildcat great Chuck Hayes and Cawood Ledford, long-time UK broadcaster.

Because you honestly didn't think we'd let them give them a name that didn't have a meaning, did you?!?

As we left the mall, I thanked God. There are some not-so-great parts of Jeremy's present unemployment, but the fact that we can hang out as a family on a random Monday morning like that is definitely not one of them.  I absolutely love having Jeremy home. Much as I look forward to his going back to work (see those "not-so-great parts") I'm gonna miss having him all to myself!

Thank you so much, Ronnie and Nancy, for giving me and my boys such a great day!






love how they're both sucking their
"drug" of choice



Once he'd freshly brushed Cawood,
Jones handed him to Freddie.





This is the face he makes when
he says, "COOOOOOOOOOL,"
which is what he was saying when
the picture was taken.


I don't even know how to describe the distance that
he carried a box that is nearly bigger than he is.

Brother at the playground 
Standing Man! 
Apparently, Woody wanted some tea, too.



















No comments:

Post a Comment