Background

Friday, November 25, 2016

Thanksgiving Recap

This was probably the best Thanksgiving, since the boys were born. They're getting so much more independent, which meant that we were able to have actual adult conversations during dinner with Jeremy's family. They're also SO EXCITED about EVERY holiday now that celebrating is so much fun.

The fun started on Wednesday nite. We'd ordered a new Christmas tree, and it was delivered in the afternoon. Jones in particular was VERY curious about what was in the giant box in the middle of the den. Then my mom called, saying she and Daddy would like to come watch the Macy's Parade with the boys (which I hope they'll make a tradition; you hear that, Mom and Daddy?!?).

Seeing those two things - Jones's excitement and Mom and Daddy's plans to visit - I decided to put the tree up earlier than expected. We were going to do it Friday or Saturday. Instead, we did it after the boys were in bed on Wednesday, so they woke up to our own little coming-on-Winter wonderland.

Not long after the boys got up, Mom and Daddy showed up. They boys, of course, were THRILLED, and so was I. They appreciate the Parade way more than Jeremy does! Mom fluffed out the branches on our new tree, a job I'd saved knowing she'd be way better at it than I would. Daddy wrestled the boys ("You fink you tough?"), and we all watched the Parade.

When Santa slid into Herald Square, I asked Jones, "Do you think Santa has anything in that sack for you, Jones?" "I hope it's Stinky!" he answered. It was so cute - and totally surprising, as this time last year, Jones had NO IDEA how the Santa thing worked.

Not long after that, we headed to cousin Amy's house for our annual Thanksgiving feast with the Boone family. This year was AMAZING, because the boys were big enough for me to trust them alone in Amy's bonus room. Except for when they were eating, they stayed up there, playing with Jake's collection of Hess trucks and Chandler's cookware.

Briefly, their OTHER cousin Lila came upstairs (all of the other kids were in the basement, I guess). When she walked in, Jones very politely popped up and said, "Hey, Wawa! Happy Thanksgiving!"

I really can't say enough how AMAZING it was that the boys were big enough to be left alone. I can't remember the last time I've had an uninterrupted  conversation with Jeremy's wonderful sister and brother-in-law, so that went a long way towards putting the "Happy" in my Thanksgiving.

We then headed to Mom and Daddy's, where the boys took a little tryptophan rest before we took them to see Santa Claus. We spent the nite, so that the boys and I could go to Disney on Ice the next day. Jeremy got up and headed back to work, but the boys watched "Droopy" with Pop and Maybe. Ever since, they've randomly broken out with "You know what? I'm happy." Family tradition is what this time of year is all about, I guess!





This is Freddie Facetiming Mayme
and Pop to show them our Christmas tree
before they got here.








Freddie discovered that he can make
shapes with his hands (kinesthetic
learner, anyone?), and now Jones
does it, too!


When Santa showed up on the Parade ...
This looks like it'd have been such a good picture ...
if only.
Miss Shepherd's Baby!







tryptophan time

No comments:

Post a Comment