Background

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

SURPRISE!


Freddie just peed in the potty.

Yes, you read that right, and no, I'm not even trying to potty train him.

He's said several times in the last few weeks that he wanted to pee pee. When he does, I'll take him in and let him sit on the "ducky potty," which is the padded seat that goes over my big potty. He's never actually peed, though, so I figured he didn't know he needed to go; he just wanted to sit on the potty.

Well, this morning he said it, and I put him off for a few minutes, figuring his request was just a boredom buster. He kept asking, though, so I finally took him. He took off his diaper ("I do it myself"), and then I placed him on the potty, assuming nothing would happen ... until it did, about six seconds later.

I'm not sure I'm really ready to train him - I mean, I want him trained by the time we go to the Bahamas (end of November), but I'm not sure he has the bladder control (Jones can go for DAYS without going) to make potty training anything more than a complete headache that involves potty stops in quick succession  on car trips. I just don't want to rush it. Jones was amazingly easy to train - at almost 3.5. I'd planned to wait until closer to 3 with Freckle.

It's beginning to look, however, like Baby Brother may force my hand.

Stay tuned.

(UPDATE - 55 minutes later: Freddie and I were reading a book when I noticed him straining. I said, "Do you want to stinky in the potty?" And sure enough, he did. Are we doing this?!?)

(UPDATE - end of the day: I decided to try Freddie on the potty training method that I used for Jones this afternoon. He never went in the potty again. I noticed, though, that he still pees really frequently, so I'm not going to force it - especially not with my plan to put them in the same room soon. I'm thinking we'll get through that, and then we'll focus on the potty.)

No comments:

Post a Comment