Background

Monday, June 15, 2015

Brother's Keeper

Since we brought Freddie home, Jones has been unbelievably tender and sweet with him. Lately, though, his "Brother's Keeper" gene has kicked in in a great big way.

Take, for instance, Saturday afternoon. We were at a water park, and, as Freddie does, he was taking off without consideration for life, limb or the fact that he can't swim. Not even a little bit. Everywhere he went, Jones kept an eye on him.

If Freddie took off - or if I walked in the direction opposite from the direction in which Freddie was walking - Jones would say, "Free-ree! NO!" to Baby - or to me, as a reminder (as if I needed one) that I had a whole 'nother kid to take care of.

Tonite, the boys were outside at Mom's riding their tractors. Jones followed Freddie around like he was a policeman on patrol. He surveilled our little Bear and again yelled, "Free-ree, NO!" anytime he'd get too close to the road or start to were off driveway.  One time, he parked the tractor to get out and stop Freddie from going into the grass. I told him to keep moving; I'D handle it.

It was absolutely awesome to see. It's got to be hard-wired into older siblings, I guess, to take care of those who come behind them. God is so good to give us these "guardian angels."



(UPDATE: on Tuesday morning (6/16), the boys and I picked up Payton and went to Storytime at the Pelham Road Library in Greenville. All of the children sat in a circle around the room - except for Freddie (and two other little boys) who danced around in the middle of the circle. Jones stood on the edges with both hands cupped around his mouth to amplify as he said, "FREE-REE. COME BACK!" As we left, Payton looked at me and said, "I don't know how you keep up with them." I've never felt so validated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment