During our visit there earlier this year, Mom and Daddy dropped the bomb that they'd be coming back in late-July. Though they said the week would be "just them," I don't think anybody in attendance actually believed it would, so no one was surprised when Mom called the week before they left and said, "Why don't y'all come down on Tuesday for Daddy's birthday."
Done. In fact, I was already packed.
In a lot of ways, the trip was every bit as awesome as our first one this year. The kids played great together. The proximity to the beach is perfect, and a week in a house with so many of my favorite people is beyond belief.
Here are some highlights - in list form, just like last time:
1) On our way to the beach, the boys and I made a pit stop in Orangeburg. As soon as the three of us got locked in a narrow bathroom stall together, I squatted and said, "Mama's got to go potty." Standing six inches in front of me, Jones immediately directed, "... 2 ... 3 GO!"
2) We were almost to Georgetown when, out of nowhere, Jones said, "I coming! I coming, Beach!"
4) Heading out to the beach to play, I asked Jones where his "boat hat" was. He said, "on my head" an indicated as much by rolling his eyes up to look at the brim.
5) Jones, a little skittish at the start of our last visit, immediately took to the water this time. He and Daddy played in the water for a long time when Daddy took his shirt off. In an instant, Jones came to me and tugged at HIS shirt, wanting to take it off, too. This Pete-and-Repeat behavior happened again the next morning, while we waited for a table at the Eggs Up Grill. Daddy took a phone call, and Jones put his hand up to his ear to "take" one of his own. Minutes later, Daddy stood with his hands on both hips. Jones ran over to right beside him and did the same thing.
6) "Mees"-averse Jones wanted to put on his "pay (play) shoes" to get the sand off of his feet. As he did, Daddy said, "You're an original Cat Dude." Jones smiled and repeated, "I a Cat Dude," which he continues to call himself still today.Other things to not forget:
7) the trip Daddy, Camden, Lila, and I took to the Food Lion. I don't think Lila had ever experienced the magic that is going grocery shopping with Pop, who never says NO to anything. I'm glad she got to see what it's like. The only thing better than being at a grocery store with Daddy is being at a BOOK store with Daddy. Heaven IS a place on Earth.
8) Murrells Inlet Marshwalk. That thing is AWESOME. I can't wait to take Jeremy back when we go again next June.
9) my "midnight ride" with Doodoo behind the wheel. He's not only a great driver; he's also an incredible conversationalist. That he'll wear the tackiest tank tops on the Grand Strand makes me love him all the more, as does the way he plays with my baby boys.
Here's further proof that we had an awesome week: on the Monday after we got back, I was dressing Freddie and said, "Guess where we're going tomorrow." The answer, of course, was Greenville (because that's ALWAYS where we're going). But Freddie, not knowing, very hopefully and boldly, responded, "BEACH!"
I wish, Buddy.
295 more days.
(For the record, I'm not nearly as excited about THIS trip's slideshow as I was about LAST trip's, but for what it's worth, here it is. Photo book to follow. Soon. I hope.)
Oh, and here's something else about the trip that I don't want to forget ...


















No comments:
Post a Comment