Just as we'd decided before Jones was born to have his dedication on Masters Sunday, so had we chosen U.S. Open Sunday for Freddie's dedication before he was born. That they were both almost six months old on their respective Sundays was a happy coincidence ... OR proof that God likes symbolism as much as I do. We ARE, after all, made in His image ...
ANYWAY.
Like Jones's dedication, Freddie's went so well, praise the Lord. He took a longer-than-usual morning nap before church, leaving him just as happy as could be when the service started. Our pastor always walks the babies around the congregation during the dedication. For Freddie's "baby parade," the music minister sang "Be Strong in the Lord," which is what I sing to him every nite and what we pray for both of our boys daily. James's rendition - a simple arrangement, just his voice and a piano - was absolutely perfect. His willingness to let me request what he'd sing for both of my boys' dedications has really made them that much more special, and I am so grateful.
According to some ladies in the church, Freddie Bear was very jovial in his stroll through the church. I couldn't see him, but from what I heard, he was smiling at everyone, which doesn't surprise me for a second. I couldn't hear him, either, because I was distracted by Jones's incessant "beep-beep ... beep ... beep-beep-beep." Either he's obsessed with cars, or he thinks he's R2D2. Either way, it all went well. When Jay gave Freddie back to Jeremy, baby Brother decided to use his daddy's tie as a teething toy. Other than that and the "beep"-ing, it was a success!
So was the luncheon afterwards. Of course, we had it at Sid's ... same Masters-themed menu as Jones's (what foods is the U.S. Open known for?!?). Both boys behaved really well. Jones liked having his usual run of the restaurant, and Freddie hung in there for about ninety minutes before he conked dead out in my arms as Jeremy and I were trying to get packed up and leave.
This post isn't about Jones (don't tell HIM that), but here's a funny story from lunch. He'd fallen or something and was crying for me, so I was holding him, walking around. We walked by where his Nan was sitting, and she offered him a bite of Page's strawberry cupcake. He took the bite and was, suddenly, WAY less interested in me. He reached for Nan and sat a spell with her.
Below are some of my favorite pictures of the occasion - most of them taken by the one and only Leslie Bell. The video(s) are also below. Though he recorded all of Jones's "walk" with Pastor Jay, Daddy only got the start and finish of Freddie's ... second child syndrome ... thus, the two separate videos, but they do the job of telling the story of our blessedly wonderful day.
| I love this picture. I think he looks so beautiful. I'm still in shock that I have a son with such big, blue eyes. Talk about an answer to prayer! |
| Who knew a tie would taste so good? |



No comments:
Post a Comment