Though you can't tell it from this picture, Jones had a moment last nite when his sleep wasn't quite so peaceful. In fact, it was just before this shot was snapped. Here's what happened:
Jones must've been worn out from all the fun of celebrating his five month birthday, because by 7 p.m., he was sucking his thumb and falling asleep. Seeing this, I decided to get him ready for bed a bit early. He was out before his bedtime bottle was finished, and for the next hour and a half, things seemed pretty normal. He was sleeping, and Jeremy and I were watching TV in the den ... which, with Jeremy, consists of watching about sixteen shows at the same time.
Just after 8:30, though, I heard a scream on the monitor so terrifying that, for a split second, I thought it must've been on the TV. I'd never heard Jones sound ANYTHING like that. As soon as it sunk in that it was him, though, I RAN back to his bedroom and picked him up. I tried to comfort him, but he just kept screaming, and nothing helped. He never woke up - just screamed for about two minutes. Realizing I wasn't helping by holding him, I laid him back down. My first thought was fever, but no. No fever. Then I thought, maybe, teething? But he wasn't sucking his fists, so I knew it probably wasn't that. Just in case, though, I used some Orajel on his gums for the first time.
By the time I'd busted open the package, though, he had quieted down and seemed no worse for the wear. I applied the Orajel, anyway, and pried myself away from his room, though part of me wanted to sit in there and stare at him to see if he'd do it again.
He didn't. Thankfully. Instead, he slept through the rest of the nite and woke up, "jibber-jabbering," just as he always does.
An informal poll of my sister and some of my mom friends suggests that he's now had his first nightmare. Two friends said their children had it right before they popped out a tooth. Five months seems a little early to me for teeth to be popping through, but who knows. All we can do is wait and see ...
... and hope nothing ever haunts his dreams again.

No comments:
Post a Comment