Background

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Freddie's First Show!



This time last year, I took Jones to his first-ever mainstage play. He and I saw "A Charlie Brown Christmas," presented by my beloved former employer, the South Carolina Children's Theatre.

Freddie definitely wasn't ready then, and when I bought the tickets, I wasn't sure if he were ready this year - Jones can watch cartoons all day, every day. Freddie ... can't, so it was a big risk buying for four, but I figured we'd never know if we didn't go, so off we went.

But first, we had lunch with Lila. She turned 11 on Thursday, so we celebrated today at Trio (Freddie INSISTED on cutting his own chicken fingers, inspired, I think, by seeing Fred Flintstone cut his own steak, and no. That's not a joke. BOTH of my boys are perpetually reenacting cartoons).

Then, Jeremy, the boys, and I walked the four or so blocks down Main Street to the Peace Center. It was a beautiful day - perfect weather with lots of folks milling about, as they do in downtown Greenville.

Jones recognized the Peace Center as "where Mama works," and he and Freddie loved running around the plaza, while I went to the box office to collect our tickets. They even got to play in the fake snow created by a machine near the Concert Hall entrance.

Because I had lots of loose change, they also got to make a wish in one of the fountains, as we went into the theatre. They wished for the same things they asked Santa for - Jones wants a trolley with a key to make it go, and Freddie wants a Batman watch.

At least, they're consistent.

Also, notice how Freddie throws his coin and then blows their air as if to blow out candles. Apparently, all he knows about wishes comes from birthday cakes.



We got settled into our seats about ten minutes before showtime. Because of my Board involvement, Jeremy and I gave a (very small) donation to the theatre. I asked that they list it "in honor of Jones & Freddie Pressley," and Jones was 1000% enamored with seeing his name in the playbill. He kept opening it up and saying, "Mama, I wonder if my name is in here?" and then he'd make a big to-do about seeing it.

The show was awesome. I remain amazed at the incredible caliber for performances SCCT continues to do, and I am so, so proud of my affiliation with the theatre - both past and present.

Both boys did really well. There were a handful of times that Freddie'd say, "Is it over yet?" and he got restless for a minute, but for the most part, he behaved perfectly. I definitely won't hesitate to take him back, which is a good thing, because we've already got tickets for both "Flat Stanley" and "Madagascar the Musical."

In what may have been the highlight of the whole day, Jones got included in the musical! At one point in the story, they're trying to decide who's on the naughty or nice list. Several elves come down into the audience and ask kids their names. When they yell the name to Santa on stage, Santa tells them whether they're on the naughty or nice list.  When the elf Tenchie asked Jones his name, he wouldn't speak to her, but I did. "It's Jones," I said. She yelled, "Jones!" to Santa, and he said, "NICE!!!!!" Jones said, "I'm on the Nice list! How 'bout that?" All afternoon, he gloated about that, which was adorable. 

I am so excited that now both of my boys are old enough to be my theatre buddies. I hope it's a habit we keep for many years to come!


I love this picture of Jones with the cousin
he calls his girlfriend. 





The house lighting in the Gunter
makes for HORRIBLE pictures. The color is
AWFUL and, in my feeble, iPhoto attempts,
unfixable, but still. At least, he'll have a few
photo memories of his first show.


Because of their excellent behavior
(and because I had some extra change),
they also made wishes on the way OUT of the theatre. 
Batman watch & Cat Boy shoes.
Something tells me BOTH of these wishes will
come true this Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment