By the time Jones turned five months old, he'd been to three Kentucky basketball games (versus Duke, Texas A&M, and Tennessee) and one North Carolina (versus Florida State). Just before Freddie was born, he was back in Chapel Hill to watch the 'Heels play the 'Cats.It was his behavior at that game that led to the fact that he hasn't been back since. In a word, he was HORRIBLE. He COMPLETELY flipped out; I mean flipped-the-heck-out like he had never flipped out before. He and I spent the final, I don't know, 19:08 of the first half in the concourse, me trying (unsuccessfully) to console him, until I finally gave up, got Jeremy's attention, and said, "I don't care what YOU do, but I'M taking Jones and going back to the hotel."
Jeremy didn't like the idea of sending his 14 month-old son and 37 weeks-pregnant wife into the Chapel Hill nite alone, so he walked with us. It was cold, raining, and led to the biggest fight Jeremy and I have ever had, even as I was completely convinced that Freddie was going to be born at UNC Medical Center, because there was no way the HELL of that day and the rigors of that nite time hike wouldn't put me into labor.
So yeah.It was decided then and there that FREDDIE'S first game wouldn't come until he was a little older.
The time finally came.
Yesterday morning, the boys (all three of them) and I drove up to Lexington where we met Mom and Daddy to go to the UK / Auburn game at the one and only Rupp Arena. We've talked for a few weeks about going to "watch the Wildcats play," so Jones and Freddie were pretty pumped.
The game went MUCH better than the last game we took Jones to. Jones was a LITTLE nervous around the crowd, I could tell. I told him I used to get nervous, too. I kept expecting him to relax, and just when he'd start to, he'd tense up again, so while he wasn't AWFUL, he wasn't THRILLED about being there. After halftime, Jeremy decided to walk the Concourse with him.
Freddie, though, sat there like he'd been going to ballgames his entire life. He did GREAT - he kept one hand in the popcorn bucket and the other in a tight grip around a giant bag of M&Ms (in fact, to help Jones feel better, Freddie started feeding him, because Freddie has a giant heart and because, for part of the time, Jones refused to take his hands off of his ears {insert eye roll}.
With about five minutes left to play, Freddie got restless. The Cats had the game pretty well in hand, so he and I headed to meet up with Jeremy and Jones. On the way out, some shades that flashed blue lights caught Freddie's eyes. I normally don't go for impulse buys. In fact, I can't remember one single time I have given in when the boys have asked for something like that, but since we were at Rupp Arena, and since I wanted him to have a keepsake from his first game, I gave in. He said, "We need some for Jojo, too." Remember what I said about his giant heart? So we got Jones two wristbands, which he's had on pretty much ever since.After the game, we went to Qdoba and then to bed. In fact, when Freddie saw the UK logo on Daddy's pajama t-shirt, he said to his Pop, "You're a 'tucky Wole-cat." Hearing that, I knew I was doing my part to raise that baby right. Then, this morning, we hit the Track Kitchen at Keeneland before heading home.
It was a great trip - and one that went well enough that we'll definitely be back sooner rather than later.
Go, Big Blue!
![]() |
| He was SO proud to carry that bag, "ALL BY MYSELF." When he started putting his hand in his pocket like that, I HAD to take a picture of it, because HOW CUTE IS HE?!? |
![]() |
| "You fink you tough?" is a faux fight that's been in the Stultz family for generations. The boys are proud to be a part of it now and practice it OFTEN. |
![]() |
| "I'm not excited; I'm CROSS." This face appears often nowadays, and I LOVE IT. |
![]() |
| JoJo the Ghost |
| I told Freddie to close his mouth and look at me. He instinctively opened his mouth even wider. Glad he's mastered obedience. |
![]() |
| watching "Oso" and looking like a giant on the drive home |





















No comments:
Post a Comment