When I was a little girl, if my parents had given me a choice between going to Disney World and spending a week at my Mayme's in Kentucky, I'd have been in the Bluegrass State before they could say, "Zip-pa-dee-doo-dah!"It wasn't even a fair fight.
Then again, Mayme made things pretty magical. She stocked her freezer with Pudding Pops (and, just for me, peppermint ice cream that she'd bring home in a styrofoam cup from the Chimney Corner restaurant, "up the road"); she had Reese Cups in that same drawer where she kept the folded up Stultz Pharmacy bags, and she'd almost always let us go to work with her where there were not only calculators to play with but also giant rubber stamps with forms to fill out. It was Utopia for a kid like me, for whom office equipment was every bit as fun as riding a roller coaster.
With all of this going on, who WOULDN'T want to be there?
This spring, though, we Stultzes said, "NO MORE." It was finally time to reconnect with some of the ones we love the most.
We pulled into Greenup for Father's Day Weekend. On our way, of course, the boys and I drove through nearby Ashland. As we did, I had that same old bubble in my belly - the familiar excitement of "WE'RE ALMOST THERE!!!!!" just about made me explode, while I pointed out some of the spots with memories attached."There's the theatre they built when I was in junior high! That's the smokestack Mayme told us she used to sit on top of. We'd eat at that McDonald's on our way to Camden Park."
Decades-old memories still as fresh as yesterday.
When we finally got to Greenup, I was welcomed by the sight of barges on the riverbank and the sound of crickets in the ravine. There's the fire station's reminder that it's 9 o'clock, and the same train still roars by right around 11.
Some things never change.
Thank God for that.
Just as many times, I thought about what a gift that it is to have a family that wants to be together; to have been taught - and shown - that some knots can't be untied is as magical a gift as I was ever given.


















No comments:
Post a Comment