I don't know whose bright idea it was to plan both boys' dental check-ups and haircuts and Freddie's four year physical on the same day, but that's exactly what ended up on today's agenda. To be honest, I've been dreading it - but the boys proved my anxiety was for naught. I guess they've finally reached the ages where they can handle all of that running around without being any worse for the wear, and let me just tell you - I couldn't be happier about that glorious, long-awaited fact. The first stop was Dr. "Bail's." While Jones did MUCH better at his last visit than he had in most of the previous ones, I was still holding my breath, unsure of what to expect from him (Freddie has NEVER been a problem at the dentist). He was an absolute DREAM. They BOTH were. If you had told me two years ago that Jones Pressley would ever handle a dental appointment that way he handled today's, I'd have told you you were CRAZY.
Here's hoping.
Time will tell.
After another great visit to Great Beginnings, we ventured to the barber shop. The barber shop used to be as traumatic a place to take Jones as the dentist's office, but just as he did at Dr. Bill's, Jones handled his hair cut like he did it daily. Honestly, Y'all. I don't think you understand what a shock this is to me - that he has turned this corner. I.am.so.grateful. The boys and I left the barber shop and had lunch at Ferrara's - Freddie ordered the "avrioli." I hope I never forget how he says that instead of "ravioli." In fact, I will probably call it that from now until forever.
After an hour or so back at the house, we left for Dr. O'Donnell's. Freddie had a great check-up, praise the Lord. He passed both his hearing and eyesight checks with flying colors, and he did great with the whole thing - until Dr. O'Donnell had him lay down on the exam table, so he could listen to his heart. I think Freddie had flashbacks to when he had to do the same thing at the "Pokin' Doctor" (which is what he calls his allergist) and ended up getting stuck 37 times. He cried and cried and cried until Dr. O'Donnell finally finished. Jones came with us. It was the first time since Freddie was an infant that I've taken both of them to the doctor's office at the same time. He made quite the sensation of himself, "smoking" his "pipe" and telling the nurse that "you gotta look up and then you spit smoke."
What was that you were saying about "good health habits," Doctor?
(So grateful, obviously, for all of the good reports and excellent health. I praise God from Whom all blessings flow for taking such exquisite care of my baby boys.)









No comments:
Post a Comment