At lunch today, Jones reached out and grabbed Freddie's hand. He's never done that before, and I thought he'd drop it as soon as he took it. Or, maybe, that he'd pinch it or squeeze it or use it to put some of Freddie's Goldfish on Jones's tray.
But he didn't.
He held it for several minutes. He even turned back to keep eating off of his tray, still holding Freddie's hand behind him. Freddie didn't seem to mind the attention. He just acted like it was a completely normal thing to have happen. For as many times as Jones has body slammed Freddie - or put him in an unprovoked chokehold - this gesture was the most heart-stoppingly sweet thing Jones has done to Freddie, since he used to climb in Brother's crib and "cuckle" with him after their naps.
Maybe Jones is starting to feel guilty for all of those body slams.
Anyway, we'd almost made it through the entire store when I stopped in the freezer section on the outside wall. Remembering I needed blue cheese for dinner, I stopped the stroller and backtracked no more than nine feet straight back to get the cheese. Jones must've assumed I was leaving Freddie. He immediately said, "Baby!" and ran to the back of the stroller, grabbing the bar to push it (which he couldn't do) and turning to look at me, as if to say, "Have you forgotten...?!?!" It was precious.
"We're not leaving Baby, Jones," I explained. "Mama just stepped back here to get something."
But given the number of times a day I wonder if Jones is ALWAYS going to pick and bicker with Freddie (who, let it be known, never fights back ... yet), I am so grateful for an early example of him being his brother's keeper.
I am ALSO grateful that today was warm enough to go outside without wearing ski bibs.
![]() |
| Freddie's getting more and more bold about standing, but, 14 months old today, he's still not taking steps. I'm hoping we're getting close, though! |
| So, maybe Jones wasn't COMPLETELY loving today. |
![]() |
| Freddie still watches Jones like he's a movie. |






No comments:
Post a Comment