This has been a long time coming. Freddie's been in official lessons, since this Spring, but his swimming REALLY picked up as we spent so much time in the water at the lake this Summer.Though he was absolutely TERRIFIED, Mrs. Robin decided today was the day to push her little birdie out of the nest, and HE FLEW! Well, he swam, as you can see. What you can't hear, though, is his WAILING as he did it. He was absolutely scared to death - you can't hear his cries of horror over my own cries of jubilation. As soon as I fished him out of the water, he said something along the lines of, "I am never coming back here again."
Oh, but you are, Little Buddy.It was such a great occasion that his daddy left the office for a few minutes to meet us for a celebratory cone of Freddie's favorite "green ice cream" (Mint Chocolate Chip).
It'll be a few weeks of his gaining confidence before I let him swim in the pool without his jacket - and years before I won't require one in the lake - but still, there is GREAT peace of mind from knowing that BOTH of my boys are finally - FINALLY! - official swimmers. Woohoo!
And yes, I DID say BOTH of my boys are swimming now. The reason there wasn't a post like the when Jones finally took off is because his was a relatively slow roll. He was doing great - swimming on his own earlier this Spring.
Then, somehow, he got terrified of the water. It was the strangest thing. He'd go to his lessons and pitch a fit out of the fear, even though he'd been flat out swimming for MONTHS. Mrs. Robin said it was probably best not to keep up with lessons - that we may scare him out of the water altogether - so I took her advice and just kept taking Freddie.
Then, when pool season started at my parents' house, Jones was swimming, pretty as you please. He's only gotten stronger with all of the time we spent at the lake this Summer, so we can officially cross "learn to swim" off of this Summer's Bucket List (which, lest you think I'm a Pinterest mom, we totally don't even have).
Let the fun begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment