Background

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Build-a-"Baby"




I had never even heard of Build-a-Bear's "Pay Your Age" promotion. 

Then, last Wednesday afternoon, I got a call from my favorite 18 year old. He wanted to know if the boys like stuffed animals, told me about the deal, and asked if he could take the boys. I couldn't say "Yes" and "You are the greatest kid in the world" fast enough, so bright and early Thursday morning, the boys and I boarded "the Cat Car" (which Jones wants to rename "Elasti-girl's car," a change with which I am TOTALLY okay) and headed South. 

By the time we got to Haywood Mall - it was probably 11:30 or so - every Greenvillian under the age of 6 was standing in a line outside Build-a-Bear. In fact, they'd cut off the line just before we got there, which was a God-send. There was no debating whether or not to wait (I'd NEVER have waited in that line, by the way), AND we were handed vouchers for two free bears as soon as we arrived. 

I hadn't told the boys what we were doing. The surprise was Doodoo's to reveal, I thought. Plus, until Thursday, Jones and Freddie wouldn't have known the phrase "Build-a-Bear" from "biblical eschatology" (they've both built a bear before - with gift cards from Auntcy - but they were babies and certainly don't remember the experience), so they were pretty easy to pacify with, "We'll do it tomorrow" - especially after I confirmed that there were both bear-sized Spiderman AND Captain America costumes to be bought.

The bears even went to the
barber shop with us.
As a back-up plan, we went to Frankie's Fun Park. Camden bought the boys milkshakes at the on-site Johnny Rockets, and then the boys went swimming with Bobo at Mayme and Pop's house. They were as happy with Plan B as they'd have been with Plan A, though they did remind me at least 1000 times between then and bedtime that we'd be building a bear after their "long snooze."

And that's just what we did. 

We got to the Asheville Mall just after it opened. While we did have a little wait, it was more like a perfectly-palatable 20 minutes, as opposed to the 7.5 hours it'd have taken the day before. The way the boys have loved on and played with those bears ever since they brought them home, however, I'm kinda wondering if even the 7.5 hours would've even been worth it. 

Here are some pics and videos demonstrating the boys' fond affections for their precious "babies."











Mrs. Pressley gave the boys some old flip phones,
which they took with us on the outing, too.
Here's Jones "taking" Captain America's picture ... 
... and showing Captain America the picture he took.
Those phones haven't worked in five years.
Don't tell THEM that.
The bears joined us at Whole Foods,
which Freddie calls "the little buggy store,"
for obvious reasons. 










No comments:

Post a Comment