![]() |
| I don't have a picture of the Barbie bike here at home, but here's a pic of Sissy and me in Mayme's driveway, both of us on skates, with me pushing the same thing Freddie is pushing in the photos below. |
I miss that bike. If my memories of it are correct, the seat would still be big enough to hold me all these thirty years later.
![]() |
| On this day, Jones kept riding up to me and saying, "Ka-CHOW, Mama!" like he's heard Lightnin' McQueen say. |
The sounds of those nites are plastic wheels on pavement, crickets chirping across the Ohio River bank, and a bug whacker with an electric glow that no neon sign can rival.
"Zzzzzzzzzzzzip."
See what I mean visceral?
I can still feel that exhaustion, the kind that only kids can know, because only kids have enough energy to play that hard for that long. There are Pudding Pops in the freezer; there are chips and cheese on the floor in the family room, and there's Brad with a giant blue bowl full of cereal. There's the rough tweed of Mayme's couch. I'd curl up on her lap when I couldn't support myself any longer; she'd rub my back, sitting with her right leg tucked up under her left, coughing her cough, calling me, "Dollbaby."

Then there's a whistle sounding from the downtown fire department. It lets the good people of Greenup know that it's 9 o'clock, time to be gettin' on home - or, if you're a little girl who's lucky enough to be at her Mayme's house for several weeks in the summer, goin' on to bed.
To borrow from Bryan Adams, "Those were the best days of my life."
That's why I love so much that my boys are starting to love riding bikes in the driveways of both sets of their grandparents. Now, I'M the one sitting in the folding chairs, watching them play, and hoping Jones and Freddie remember these times as fondly as I remember mine.
____________
In this first video, Jones runs into my "beeg car," and when I ask what we should do to fix it, Jones says, "We need a Mouseketool!"
In this video, you can hear Jones say, "Excuse me!" when he runs into Freddie. You can also see that Freddie is still struggling with the concept of doing what his mama says. But we're workin' on it!
In this video, you can hear Jones call the rainwater dirty. Felix and Oscar and all that.








No comments:
Post a Comment