Background

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Living Nativity



We took the boys to a Live Nativity at the 3rd Generation Barn in Canton tonite. I heard that there'd be farm animals there and immediately knew that such an event had Jones Pressley's name written all over it. Haylee Floyd, our friend from church, went with us, serving as the official "Freddie Wrangler," which was amazingly helpful.
The nativity was a really incredible experience. Though the barn it was in had to be 10,000 times nicer than the stable where Jesus was born, it did give us a sense of the humility of the situation. The Creator of the universe appears on Earth like THAT?!  Wow. 

For his part, Jones was very excited by the goat ... which he thought was a sheep, and I didn't have the heart to correct him, mostly because I'm not entirely sure of the differences between the two myself. Horns and a bleat. Is that all?
He was also impressed with the farm cat he encountered before we even followed the wisemen into the barn, but his BEST buddy was the very pregnant donkey. Interestingly, it's the donkey that he always pulls out of Freddie's Advent calendar to play with. Maybe he'll grow up to lead burro tours to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. 

As much as Jones loved playing with the donkey, Freddie Bear may have loved it more.  He practically fell out of Haylee's arms for reaching to pet the very friendly lady. Something you should know about Freddie - he does NOT share his brother's rather timid approach to new situations.  Wide-open is that one.

We ended our evening with our Advent study. I mention that, because, after the lessons, I was singing "Angels We Have Heard on High," and Jones started singing along. He's made noise before, as I've sung, but he's never sung along for an extended period of time. It.was.awesome ... especially after the whiny, clingy, needy week he's had.                                                                              

So the celebrations continue, and our anticipation of Jesus's birth grows with every passing day!














No comments:

Post a Comment