Background

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

HCA? OK.


After an amazing Christmas Break and two weeks' of non-stop time with my boys, I was beginning to doubt our decision to enroll them at HCA next Fall. I was already aching with how much I'll miss them and thinking that maybe I SHOULD start homeschooling now instead of later.

The only way to dull the ache was to rehearse to myself the clarity with which God had not only led us to HCA but also made a way, financially-speaking (thank you, FURMAN), for the boys to be there. I started to pray, too - "God, please confirm for me that we're making the right decision."

Well, today, He did just that.

I'd gone in to the boys' preschool to celebrate Freddie's birthday with his class. Jones came to join us, of course. When I went to get him, Jones's class was walking down the hall to the bathroom. Jones saw me, and, instead of running over to me like the homesick little son I assumed he'd be, he instead gave me a wave and a sweet smirk as he kept walking in total silence with the rest of his class.

I was REALLY proud of him for obeying his teacher's directive to be quiet. I was also impressed - and surprised - by how he stayed on task and was undistracted by my being there. I fell in line behind the other pre-K'ers and collected Jones after I'd asked Mrs. Doris if it was okay for me to do so.

After about 20 fun-filled minutes in Freddie's classroom, Jones took my hand. "It's time for me to go back to my class," he said, very matter of factly. I braced for the worst and took him, remembering all too well the fit he'd pitched when I left his classroom after celebrating his own birthday just two months ago.

But today, he dropped my hand as soon as we darkened his classroom's door. He then walked as quietly as could be to his desk, never once looking back at his mama, not asking her to stay or take him with her.

And I had my affirmation.

He has grown up so much in these last few months of school. He's learning, and, maybe more importantly for his age, he likes it there.

Kindergarten, here we come.

(I'm writing this down in case I have another wave of doubt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment